Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cheese, please!

Anthony and I have been married now for 10 years.  It's so weird to say that because it still feels like he proposed (for the third time) only a year ago..... or so.  By year 10, you feel like you pretty much know a person inside and out.  I am no exception, I had him figured out long ago and he's introduced me to some things that he grew up with that I thought were kind of weird.  And the opposite is also true.  I've introduced him to some strange things from childhood as well. 

Nothing too out of the ordinary, I suppose.  Here's an example of our weirdness:

Anthony grew up putting evaporated milk, you know the kind in the can, on his oatmeal.  I've tried it, but it just doesn't float my boat.  On the other hand, I like to microwave my plain M&M's.  Laugh it up, I know it's... shall we say different? but there's just something about the hard candy shell bursting open when I pop it in my mouth and having the melted chocolate coat my tongue.  Mmmmm!  Dang, I wish I had some now!!  Plain M&M's are just blah any other way. 

Well, the other night, as we were deciding what we should eat for our midnight snack (we have one at least 7 times a week :) he came back into the living room with none other than a big blob of melted cheese.  No joke, after seeing that the cupboards and fridge were pretty much void of anything even remotely snack-ish, he chose a big blob of melted cheese.  I gave him the "you're kind of a weirdy!" look and he asked if I'd ever tried it.  Of course I have, melted on casseroles, nachos, burritos, etc.  I've eaten melted cheese plenty of times!  He insisted that I try it.... PLAIN!  I reluctantly obliged.  Can I just say, it is heaven!  Holy cow!!  I never knew eating plain old melted cheese could be that heavenly! 

He proceeded to tell me that, growing up, his mom would get very upset at all of the kids because she would bring home a big brick of cheese and they would each cut a big chunk off and melt it in the microwave.  There would be nothing left. 

So now my question is, why didn't he tell me about this little piece of heaven earlier? 

1 comment:

A Bunch of Roaches said...

I remember melting cheese in measuring cups and eating it with a fork. Yummy.