Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Sephora

There’s an old saying that goes something like this…

Use it up, wear it out.

Make it do or do without.

I am pretty much the poster child for this saying.  Maybe not so much because that’s how I would choose to have things go.  It’s more so the fact that I have to live that way.  If you don’t have money, you can’t afford new things, right?  Well, that’s us. 

My wardrobe consists mostly of things that other people have bought for me or passed down to me.  I can’t really tell you what my style is because I don’t think I really have one.  It’s been years since I’ve been able to shop for myself.  My sister took me out for my birthday last year and bought me a few new outfits.  That was fun.  But seriously, I had no clue what to buy! 

Make up is another that I just do the best I can with what I have.  I hardly ever buy make up.  All that I have (or had) was at least 3 years old.  Some of it was much, much older.  Even the mascara… Scary, I know!  My make-up bag was pretty scary.

But Anthony surprised me with a gift card to Sephora for Christmas and proudly announced that it also came with a makeover!! 

I figured he was trying to tell me something though he swears that wasn’t the intent.  Hmm…

Leading up to Christmas, my sister kept telling me that she wanted to come with me… referring to Anthony’s gift.  For the life of me I couldn’t figure out what she was talking about.  Anthony had called her to find out the best place to get make-up.  He knows me well enough that a gift card to Target (for make-up) would end up being spent on other things… necessities!  Probably diapers or toilet paper. ;)  True story.

So New Year’s Day my sister, my mom, K, and I (and the baby) went to Sephora.

It was slightly overwhelming.  If you know me at all, you know that I don’t do well with choices.  Just give me two… maybe three things to choose from, MAX!  Beyond that I get anxiety.  Who am I kidding?  Sometimes just the two choices gives me hives!

But a cute girl that worked there approached us and helped us out.  My sister stayed right with me the whole time despite my telling her there was no need.  I wasn’t a princess.  But she assured me that I was that day.  And I found some fun things to buy after my makeover.

  Sephora

I couldn’t believe how much things were!  My mom and sister asked if I would ever go back to buy my make up.  I told them probably not.  However, I have changed my tune!  Kortney will be happy to hear it. 

After checking prices at the supermarket and Target I realize that these things are not THAT much more but the quality is far superior to anything I’ve ever used. 

Here’s a rundown of the things I bought and why I really like them. 

  • Too Faced Tinted Beauty Balm – I love that I can apply with just my fingers.  No applicator needed!  And it’s a sheer coverage which I also love.  I can’t stand the feeling of heavy makeup.
  • Sephora Primal Instincts Eyeshadow Palette – The gal that made me over talked me into a much darker shade than I’ve ever used.  It’s been fun to experiment with all the darker shades.  Sometimes my concoctions work and sometimes… they are an epic fail!  But it’s fun.
  • Sephora Microsmooth Blush Duo (Tea Rose Tickle) – It’s a really pretty color!  I know a lot of people really like bronzer but I’ve never really used it.  I’m a blush kind of person.
  • Sephora Full Action Mascara – Mascara is a tricky thing.  It’s all about the applicator if you ask me.  I HATE curved applicators and I hate the ones with bristles that are either too close or too spread out.  This one is PERFECT!  And the mascara itself goes on smooth.  LOVE IT!  

**NO part of this post was sponsored in any way although I think I should get a free something or other from Sephora for all the nice things I said.  :)

I spent pretty much my whole gift card (all but $1.70) on this one trip to Sephora but it was totally worth it!  All the old makeup was thrown out immediately upon arriving home with the new stuff.  Out with the old, in with the new.

 Sephora 1

My next purchase will be an eye primer that the cute girl gave us a sample of.  A little bit goes a long way and I love that it keeps the eye shadow where it’s supposed to be and makes it last forever! 

Happy makeup-ing!

 

1 comment:

Tort said...

I am VERY HAPPY to hear you love your Sephora products! I can't wait to go back with you now and you can keep exploring... Maybe next will be some red lipstick? Haha