Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sleep walking

Does every family have a sleep walker? 

I've never been a sleep walker or talker.  Just a whiner.  Sounds funny but it's true.  I whine in my sleep.  It's high pitched moan.  Sometimes I wake myself up, that's how I know I do it.  That and the fact that when Anthony and I first got married, he had a hard time sleeping with all the whining going on.  Now he's so used to it that he doesn't notice it anymore. 

We also have sleep talkers in our family.  They include Anthony, K, H, and C.  Usually Anthony's talking involves football or some other sport.  Just before the University of Utah's first game last year, as he was rolling onto his side one night, he said "Pittsburgh" clear as day.  The Utes opening game last season. 

K and H are mumblers so I never really know what they say.  Sometimes when I go to check on them at night I hear one of them talking but I can't make out what they are saying.  C yells... oh boy does he yell!  Usually he's yelling at one of his sisters and frequently says "MINE!"  He's so funny.

A is our sleep walker.  Not the type that walks around in the middle of the night and ends up in some random spot throughout the house.  That would be frightening!  Rather she is the potty walker. 

The kids go to bed a couple hours before Anthony and I do and even thought we make sure the kids use the restroom before going to bed, it's almost inevitable that A will make her way out at some point needing to go again.  Luckily it's usually before Anthony and I make it to bed. 

We always know when A needs to go... we hear her crying and whining in her room, then the door flies open and she frantically runs to where she thinks the bathroom is.  You can ask her a question at this time, such as, "Do you need to go potty?" and she'll almost always look at you with a blank, empty stare and say no..... as she does the potty dance. 

I have learned to stop whatever I am doing when I hear her fly out of her room.  In her delerious state, she frequently mistakes the office door or the hall closet for the bathroom door.  As funny as it is, I don't want to have to clean up a mess on the floor (which has been known to happen).  So, I lead her in the right direction and she finds relief!  Oh happy day! 

Then it's off the bed again. 

She never remembers these little episodes which I find peculiar but hey, I'm just glad she's no longer just sitting in her bed, wetting it.  That went on for way too long. 

I love these little quirks about each of us (and trust me, we have many).  They make me happy!  These are the little mundane things that I will miss someday. 

No comments: