Sunday, February 5, 2012

Homemade Moon Sand Recipe

Remember when I talked about all the busy bags I got at the exchange I went to?  (Click here and here)  Well, among all those bags o’ busy-ness there was a bag of sand.  It was supposed to be Moon Sand but given the cost that it would have taken to make 20 plus bags for the exchange, the girl who did it opted to provide the bag of sand along with the recipe for Moon Sand.  That way we could all make it at our leisure and she didn’t have put in a ton of money. 

Please note that it does NOT cost a lot to make one batch (or even more).  It just would have been a lot for that many batches all at once.  Actually it was pretty inexpensive. 

Here’s what you do:

Mix 1 1/2 cups of cold water with 3 cups of cornstarch.  This is the hardest part.  It turns into this weird, goopy stuff that can’t decide if it wants to be liquid or solid.  It’s pretty fun to play in.  The kids liked it. 

Once you’re done playing in the slime, add 6 cups (I liked the consistency at about 5) of regular play sand, one cup at a time.  You’ll probably have to use your hands to get it all mixed in.   

sand 1

When you’re all done, it looks and feels like damp sand.  The best kind of castle building sand!!  Now it’s ready to play with. (Next time you get it out you may need to add a couple tablespoons of water to revive it back to the right consistency.)  H and A were so excited to find that they could make miniature castles INSIDE the house.  All the kids had a blast.  I have never played with or even seen the ‘real’ Moon Sand so I can’t give a comparison as far as texture goes.  All I know is that the kids are loving it.

moon sand 11 

moon sand 10

 

 

 

2 comments:

Rachel said...

How fun!! My kids would love it! I might make them play with it outside though;) I'd love for you to share this at my very first link party.

http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/02/terrific-tuesdays-link-party.html

Rose said...

The kids in class keep playing and playing they loved it.
thank you.