Saturday, March 3, 2012

Homemade Peanut Butter Oreos

So there I was watching The Biggest Loser (so sad that Chism went home… Go Emily!); a show that should have motivated my palate to eat something healthy.  You know, something like carrot sticks, egg whites, or maybe Cheerios (because apparently they are a sponsor). 

This week each contestant had to go home for 18 days and lose 5% of their body weight in order to claim immunity when they came back to the ranch and weighed in.  They all had their struggles but for the most part they did pretty well.  And even I was doing well until Cassandra decided to make these scrumptious looking peanut butter cookies with Hershey Kisses in the middle.  For the record, she only had one!  Go Cassandra!  Self control is tough to master. 

Well, after that, I felt any ounce of self control I had left drain from me and all I could think about was a chocolate and peanut butter combo in any form.  I just needed chocolate and I needed peanut butter.  So the next day I was on a quest to scratch that chocolate/peanut butter itch that I had. 

I decided to concoct my own version of Peanut Butter Oreos.  They are WAY better than the ones you buy.  My family loved them and Anthony has asked me to make them for the people at work on Monday.  Hopefully they like them as much as we do!

I’ve made homemade Oreos before and they are great but I decided to try a different recipe for the cookie part and I think I liked it better! 

peanut butter 5

Homemade Peanut Butter Oreos

1 chocolate cake mix (I like Devil’s Food, Dark Chocolate or Chocolate Fudge)

1 stick of butter, melted (1/2 cup)

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350*.  Mix all ingredients with a wooden spoon or stand mixer.  This makes a thick dough.  Roll into small 1 inch balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 or 9 minutes.  Do not overbake!  If you make bigger cookies, you may need up to 10 minutes. 

Recipe Source:  One Good Thing

Peanut Butter Filling:

1 c. powdered sugar

1 c. creamy peanut butter

5 T. butter, softened

1 tsp. vanilla

1/4 tsp. salt (omit if using salted butter)

1/3 c. whole milk

Mix all ingredients except milk together well.  Add milk and mix until creamy. 

Recipe slightly adapted from:  Ina Garten

Once cookies have cooled, spread frosting on the bottom of half the cookies and top with the other half of the cookies.

These are really good!  Betcha can’t eat just one ;)

peanut butter 4

 

3 comments:

Natasha said...

Would LOVE it if you could share this on my link party Serenity Saturday

Natasha xx

www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

Dana said...

They sound YUMMY!! I have been pigging out on Girl Scout Do Si Dos cookies. My personal GS cookie. I will try these asap.

Lisa said...

I love oreo's and these look delicious! I'd love for you to share them at Mix it up Monday:

http://flourmewithlove.blogspot.com/2012/03/mix-it-up-monday.html

I hope to see you soon :)