Monday, June 6, 2011

Update to Step 3 of Clean Eating Challenge

I decided to do this as a separate post because I know some of you taking part in the Clean Eating Challenge have already read Step 3 and I want to make sure you see this one too. 

After proof-reading my last post (Step 3), I realize that I wasn't very specific at all about the best way to go about eliminating junk food snacks. 

Are you ready for this?  GET RID OF IT!  That's right, either throw it away, give it away, or make your kids eat it all right now so you won't have the chance.  If you're anything like me you'll eat it if it's around no matter how hard you try not to.  It calls your name and you can't resist.  It's evil!   

Also, stock up on your fruits and vegetables for the week.  And once you are home with all your groceries, prepare them to be eaten.  It may seem like a lot of work but it's so much easier to grab a couple celery sticks and/or carrot sticks if they're already cut and ready to eat.  If I have to grab a knife or a peeler every time I want a vegetable, I'm much more likely to grab something out of the cupboard that's more convenient.  Granola bar, anyone?  So, whatever day you do your shopping, plan to come home and wash all your produce (although there is some produce that shouldn't be washed until you are ready to eat it because it spoils quicker) and cut it up so it's ready for the whole week. 

You might be surprised.  Your kids might even grab something healthy if it's readily available. 

The things I like to have cut up and ready include celery, carrots, green/red peppers (we like it on our sandwiches), prewashed spinach (we use in place of lettuce on our sandwiches, also in smoothies), sliced cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. 

And on that note, let me just say that iceberg lettuce, as wonderful as you may think it is, has little to no nutritional value.  Choose dark leafy green vegetables instead.  That is why we use the spinach instead of lettuce on our sandwiches.  If you like the crunch that lettuce adds to your sandwiches, use sliced cucumbers along with the spinach and even green peppers.  HOLY LOADED SANDWICH!!  Trust me, it's good!

Instead of iceberg lettuce salads, use romaine, butter leaf, red leaf or green leaf lettuces.  They have nutritional value!

Anyway, sorry for the poor explanation in the last post.  Hope this helps with a few things.

No comments: