Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rain

It probably wouldn't surprise you if I said something like, "I love the smell of rain!"  But I'm not going to say that.  

Just about everyone I know loves the smell of rain.  Is there anyone out there that doesn't? 

Me!  I'm guilty, I admit it.  I can't stand the smell of rain.  Call me a weirdie, I can handle it. 

Actually, there was a point in my life that I didn't even know that rain had a scent.  People would always rant and rave about how much they love the smell of rain and I just didn't get it. 

It smells?  Hmmm, my sniffer must be turned off.

Then one day, either in 7th or 9th grade (I forget which but I KNOW it wasn't 8th grade), I walked into the science lab at school fully aware of what was ahead of me.  It was worm dissection day.  UGH!  I was definitely not looking forward to such a disgusting massacre. 

But on this day, I walked in the lab and was overwhelmed by the smell!  Never had I smelled a stench like that, ever!  It had to be the dead worms.  GROSS! 

So, I gagged the whole time I was tearing my specimen open. 

A few days later, it rained.  The smell was back! 

And that's what rain smells like to me... dead worms with guts hanging out.  EW!  I've smelled it for the past two days now and while I actually do love the rain itself, I'm ready for the smell to leave. 

No comments: