Monday, May 16, 2011

Sesame Chicken

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of this recipe (or the next one I will post).  Anthony was still at work when I prepared them and since I didn't have my camera back, I was dependent on his phone for pics at the time.  But I promise to take pics the next time I make them and replace this text with pics.  And I will definitely be making them again, they were soooo good!  

Oh, and by the way... I HAVE MY CAMERA BACK!!

This was one of the first recipes I looked at in my collection of recipes and thought, I can totally clean that up!  It would be no problem.  Simple modifications and VOILA!  A clean recipe.  Mind you, this recipe does have sugar, clean sugar, but sugar.  The best kind of clean recipe would not have sugar at all, at least not for dinner, but I knew this would be a cinch to clean up so I went with it. 

My kids and Anthony absolutely loved this dish.  They thought it was divine and I got a good chuckle out of it because it really was so simple.  

Sesame Chicken
4 or 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 egg
3 T. whole wheat flour
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. water
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. canola or olive oil
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. white pepper

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Beat egg in a small mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients.  Place in bowl with lid or gallon size zipper bag with chicken pieces.  Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. 


1/2 c. Sucanat (stands for Sugar Cane Natural)**
1/4 c. agave nectar
1 c. chicken broth
3/4 c. vinegar
1 T low sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. canola oil
1 clove garlic, minced 
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. cornstarch

Combine all above ingredients except water and cornstarch.  (combine water and cornstarch in a separate bowl and set aside for now).  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Once boiling, add cornstarch and water mixture.  Stir constantly until thickened.  Remove from heat but keep warm. 

canola or olive oil
2 T sesame seeds

Fry chicken pieces in small amount of oil either in skillet or wok until done.  Once cooked, pour warm sauce over chicken.  Stir to coat and place in serving dish.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds. 

**Note:  Sucanat is basically sugar in a whole, dehydrated form.  It still has the molasses and is not refined, minimally processed.  It's also sometimes called "dehydrated cane juice". 
 
Recipe Source:  Adapted from Worldwide Ward Cookbook:  Mom's Best Recipes

No comments: