Thursday, July 14, 2011

Green Fluffy Stuff

So, I had a bit of trouble trying to name this recipe.  I guess I could call it Pistachio Salad {and usually I do} but what a boring name.  Maybe Green Fluff?  Hmmm, not too fond of that.  How about Green Fluffy Stuff?  Well, I guess it works.  It is a pale shade of green, it's definitely fluffy, and it's some sort of stuff, no?  It's gonna have to do. 

Growing up, I remember eating a lot of fruit salads and 'fluffy' salads. 

Mom, if you're reading this, don't disagree, just let me remember my growing up years the way I remember them. 

As I was saying, I remember eating a lot of fruity/fluffy salads at dinner time.  I remember them being a part of our suppers at least twice a week.  At least.  My mom may disagree but this is how I remember it.  And the two salads I remember the most are... the one where you just cut up a bunch of fruits, throw in a can of fruit cocktail, and mix it all up with some Cool Whip... and this one that I'm about to share. 

This is the 'stuff' that my father-in-law asks me to make for just about every event.  My mother-in-law requests it sometimes, too... claiming that Mark would love it if I did.  I think secretly she likes it just as much {or more} than he does.  It has kind of become my 'trademark' in Anthony's family.  And they always say, "if it's not too much trouble..."  Ha!  If they only knew!

The fact that this 'stuff' is so simple to put together makes it easy for a last minute request or a potluck that you just didn't have time to plan for.  Or, use it as a side for dinner... I grew up on this stuff!!

Here's what you'll need:



 

Combine the crushed pineapple with the pistachio pudding mix and let it sit for about 10 minutes. 

 

Fold in the Cool Whip.  Don't get too agressive with it.  You want the Cool Whip to stay nice and fluffy.



Next, add the marshmallows.  I used a whole 10.5 oz package but you could use less if you prefer.  Stir them in gently.

 

And now you have a mess of a bowl... not very eye catching...



...that's why you transfer it to a clean bowl.  It's all about presentation, people!  Learned that from my mom.



Ok, sure it's not fun to add more dishes to the already overflowing pile in the sink but deal with it. 

Pistachio Pudding Fluffy Stuff

1 small pkg of pistachio pudding mix

1 - 20 oz. can crushed pineapple

12-16 oz. Cool Whip (or other brand) whipped topping {depending on how fluffy you like it}

1 pkg marshmallows

Mix the pudding mix and the pineapple together.  Let sit for 5-10 minutes.  Fold in whipped topping.  Add marshmallows and stir gently.  Enjoy!

No comments: