Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Pinterest Challenge–Day 1… Homeschool Plan For a Whole Year

I never even announced that I had planned on doing a Pinterest Challenge.  My cute friend, Kristin, decided to do one and asked anyone that wanted to join her to play along.  The idea is to take one Pinteresting idea each day for the month of August and do it, make it, cook it, bake it, etc.  Just make it happen!  

My first thought was, I’m too poor!  Don’t ask me why but I was thinking in terms of crafts and hobbies and things I’d have to spend money on.  But then she mentioned it again on her blog and I realized… HELLO!!  I don’t have to spend extra money. 

  • Recipes… my family has to eat anyway, right? 
  • Crafts… I’ve got a whole room FULL of scrapbooking paper and supplies that I’ve had for YEARS!  Plus other stuff I’ve collected. 
  • Ideas/Tips… Read a parenting article and apply the things I learn.  No cost at all there! 
  • Church Related Pins… I’ve got Family Home Evening Lessons to plan every week. 
  • Homeschooling… Umm, hi!  We are homeschoolers.  Find something fun to try or a fun article to read to learn something new. 

Sometimes I amaze me.  Thinking outside the box is, admittedly, not one of my stronger points.  However, since deciding to homeschool my kids I’ve been a lot better about it.  ;)

So, for day one of my Pinterest Challenge I chose to pick back up where I left off with my WHOLE YEAR OF HOMESCHOOL PLAN! 

A couple weeks ago I came across a pin that linked to an article about planning a whole year.  (Click on the picture to get to the article)

hs year

I was inspired!  I’ve never done it that way before.  Procrastination is my middle name so I tend to do things last minute… all. the. time!  And I’m really good at it… procrastinating that is.  My homeschool schedule is usually planned day by day or, at best, week by week.  But I thought with the baby coming in November sometime and I know I’ll be tired from all the sleepless nights, it might be a good idea to plan a whole year. 

I got started with it thinking it would take a day or two.  Not so, my friends!  Not so.  It takes a lot more time than I realized.  So, I took a break for several days.  Today I decided to get back to it.  And wouldn’t you know it, I’m almost there!  It’s so gratifying to look at my schedule and realize that my whole year is planned and I don’t have to worry about it until next summer!  Sure there will be hiccups along the way and I will probably rearrange a few things here and there but for the most part it’s all done. 

For those interested in our ‘curriculum’, homeschooling style, or plans for the year, I plan to do a series of posts about that… coming soon!

Anyone else want to join me (and Kristin) in a Pinterest challenge?  We’d love to have you! 

 

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Yay for doing the Pinterest challenge! I'm so glad to have a friend doing it with me!! :) You're awesome, Brooke. Good luck with all your things this month! It will be fun to see the results!

Mystie said...

Hi! I noticed the link-back to my blog and so came to check it out. :) Good for you to get all that put together! It makes the rest of the year flow so much more smoothly.

I'm going to have our baby #5 in November, too! My due date is October 28, but a week late or more is normal for me. :) We're in the long stretch now -- we can do it!