Monday, July 30, 2012

Sweet Corn Mac & Cheese

Does anyone else watch The Next Food Network Star?  LOVE that show!!  There were so many people I was rooting for this season but my absolute favorite became Yvan. 

Not only did Yvan have a great story but I loved his POV (point of view… for those of you who are as slow as me to figure out what the heck that meant!). 

FAMILY STYLE!

Probably because I am a mom with a quite a brood running around which means I have quite a few mouths to feed.  It just goes so well with me!  And everything I saw Yvan make was something I wanted to try. 

Of course, there were others with fun POV’s as well… take Justin (the winner) for instance… Rebel With a Culinary Cause!  He was just kind of a strange boy with weird views on food… good weird.  And I liked him!  But I really wanted Yvan to win because while the fun things are great, I really want someone on the network that makes something the basic home cook can make without having to run out and buy all kinds of strange ingredients. 

Like fish heads… or using fish bones as ‘chips’.  Yes, Justin did that.  No thank you!

On the second to last episode, the remaining contestants were asked to make a pilot of their new shows, then they showed the viewers a quick version with recipes included.  Yvan made Sweet Corn Mac ‘n’ Cheese and I knew I had to try it! 

If you’re like me you’ve been looking for a great Mac n’ Cheese recipe FOREVER!  I’ve never loved any recipe that I’ve tried until this one.  Please note, I did make some changes per the reviews on this recipe and a personal twist and it turned out great!  And wouldn’t you know it, even my ever-so-picky kids who hate all things homemade mac & cheese loved it.  They even asked for seconds!

Umm, who are you and what have you done with my children? 

And now, without further ado, let’s get on with the recipe, shall we?

mac n cheese

  • Two 8-ounce cans creamed corn
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch
  • Pinch ground nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 – 1 tsp. mustard powder
  • 3 – 5 dashes hot sauces (or to taste)
  • 3 cups elbow macaroni 
  • 12 oz. medium cheddar cheese
  • 8 ounces grated mozzarella
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup croutons
  • 1 T. olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Move one rack to the top of the oven.

Simmer the corn with the milk, onion powder, and garlic powder for 5 minutes.

Stir cornstarch into 2 tablespoons water.  Add the cornstarch to the corn mixture.  Whisk for about 3 minutes (or until thickened) over medium heat.  Add nutmeg, salt, pepper, mustard powder, and hot sauce if using.  Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.

Boil macaroni for 5 to 7 minutes.  Drain, and add to corn cream.  Add the cheese and the egg.  Stir well.  Pour into a casserole dish or 12-inch cast-iron skillet.

Lightly crush the croutons inside zip lock bag using a small mallet or rolling pin. Add oil and crushed croutons and spread over the top of the macaroni mixture. Cook on the top rack until golden… about 15-25 minutes. 

 

No comments: