Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Blintz with Blueberry Sauce

I promised this recipe a while back and have yet to actually post it.  I’m awesome!  But I got a comment from a friend requesting it soon because she is going to be acquiring some blueberries in the very near future and wanted to try this out. 

So, LeShel, thanks for the kick start.  I needed it! 

I watched Ina Garten make this on TV and knew that I had to try it.  My very favorite breakfast item on the Village Inn Menu is blintzes.  But what turned me on to this particular recipe is that I didn’t have to make a ton of crepes and roll them all up with the cheesy stuff inside.  Instead, it’s all made in one 13x9 baking dish.  LoVe it!  So easy.  I adapted it slightly because I didn’t have extra large eggs and I also used frozen blueberries.  My whole family loved them!

Blintz
Batter:
  • 1 1/4 c. milk
  • 2 T. sour cream
  • 4 T. (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 1/3 c. flour
  • 2 T. sugar
  • 1 T. baking powder

 

Filling:
  • 3 c. (24 ounces) ricotta cheese
  • 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • zest of one lemon
  • 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • Fresh Blueberry Sauce (recipe follows)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray or butter a 13x9 baking dish.

For the batter, mix all ingredients in large bowl (you can use a food processor or a blender if you prefer).  Only pour half the batter into the prepared dish and bake for 10 minutes or until set.

Meanwhile, whisk the ricotta, mascarpone, eggs, and sugar in a large bowl.  Add the rest of the filling ingredients and gently spread the cheese filling over the baked pancake.

Using the back of a large spoon, slowly pour the rest of the pancake batter over the filling keeping the spoon as close as possible.  Spread as evenly as possible. 

Bake for another 35 to 40 minutes, the top should be lightly golden and the filling almost set. Allow to stand 10-15 minutes before cutting into squares. 

Blueberry Sauce:

  • 3/4 c. orange juice
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 1 T. cornstarch
  • 4 c. (give or take) fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
  • 1 T. lemon juice

Bring first three ingredients to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Once mixture is thickened, stir in the blueberries and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes.  A few berries might burst but most will be whole. Stir in the lemon zest and juice.  Serve over blintzes! 

Recipe Source:  Slightly adapted from The Barefoot Contessa 

1 comment:

LeShel said...

Thanks! CANNOT wait to get my blueberries and eat these yummies up!