Sunday, July 8, 2012

Liberty Lee

I was asked to be on a book tour by TLC Book Tours to review the book, Liberty Lee’s Tail of Independence. 

Liberty Lee

It’s about a mouse named Liberty Lee and his point of view in helping with the Declaration of Independence.  When the book first arrived my girls snatched it up right away.  I didn’t even know where it was for a couple of days.  They’re hoarders! 

When I finally did get a hold of it we decided to read it as a family.  I already knew that my girls really liked it.  Their favorite part?  Searching for the eagle in each illustration.  Kind of like a Where’s Waldo.  That was fun. 

The boys weren’t really too interested.  It’s more for the 5-10 year old range if you ask me.  Of course I can’t get the boys to focus on much of anything… including books geared to their ages. 

I asked the girls what they liked about it and their responses ranged from the facts, finding the eagle, and the poetry feel to the text.  I think that’s what I liked as well.  Poetry is just fun to read.  Love the rhythm!  Anthony really liked the fact that kids are learning something and that it’s done in a fun way.  We did have to explain to H that although the main idea of the story itself is real and that those things really happened, the part about the mouse is fictional.  Thomas Jefferson didn’t really have a mouse sidekick.  ;)

In the back of the book is a section for teachers and parents.  Short descriptions of the different battles and things that lead up to the American Revolution.  Even I learned new things! 

All in all I think this book is a keeper.  I don’t know that my kids will asking for it to be read to them every day but it’s definitely worth revisiting from time to time. 

Recommended?  Yes! 

Thanks, TLC, for having me on your tour.  We enjoyed it and hope to do more in the future!

2 comments:

Cari said...

I'm going to have to look for these. Ethan has read all the magic treehouse books and just about every other series his age. I prefer books where they are learning real things in addition to the make believe, this sounds like it's exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for sharing!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm glad your family enjoyed this one! Thanks for being a part of the tour.