Thursday, January 12, 2012

Fried Chicken… Paula Deen Style

Actually, she calls it Gussie’s Fried Chicken so I guess it’s more like Gussie style. 

I can’t believe I’m actually posting this because it goes completely against my New Year eating plan.  But I’m allowed a cheat meal (or seven) every week.  Food is my friend and I have very few enemies in that world. 

I discovered the magic of The Food Network several years ago and absolutely fell in love with Miss Paula Deen.  She’s funny, charming, beautiful, and man oh man that woman can COOK!  Haven’t met a recipe of hers I haven’t liked.  One time, she was making this fried chicken with a honey-pecan glaze and I was intrigued.  I had to make it and let me tell you, this recipe did NOT disappoint!  The whole family loves it!!

chicken 3

Gussie’s Fried Chicken 

  • 1 whole chicken, cut up or boneless skinless chicken breast (I prefer the latter)
  • 3 eggs
  • Salt and pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • 2 cups self-rising flour (**see note at bottom for recipe if you don’t have this on hand)
  • Oil for frying (or shortening)

Heat oil to 375* in large skillet or cast iron pan, enough to go up halfway on the chicken.  Beat eggs and pour into 9x13 pan if desired.  This makes the process easier.  Mix salt and pepper, garlic powder, and flour together in large bowl.  Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels.  Dredge the chicken by first coating each piece in egg and then coating in flour mixture.  Place in hot oil and fry for about 10 minutes, flip and cook the second side for another 10 minutes.  

Very large pieces may need to be cooked a little longer. Drain chicken on paper towels and transfer to platter.

 

Honey-Pecan Glaze

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

To make the glaze, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.  Whisk in the honey, bring to a simmer and add pecans. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Serve over fried chicken. 

 

Self-Rising Flour (in case you don’t have it)

For every one cup of flour, add 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. baking powder

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

Yum, that looks and sounds SO good!!! Good thing I didn't do resolutions this year, or eating this wouldn't be allowed. :-) Thanks for sharing!