Tuesday, April 19, 2011

FHE Bust

Anthony and I try really hard to hold Family Home Evening each Monday night.  For the past few months we've been much better about it than we had previously. 

Well, last night, I had a great idea for FHE.  It was going to be the KING of FHE's held thus far.  The kids were going to absolutely looooove it.  I was so excited about it that I even had my mom and sister on Skype, ready to share the excitement.  My dad would have been excited too except that he wasn't home yet.  

Earlier in the day we had made Bunny Buns, a recipe we found in The Friend magazine our church puts out geared towards kids.  The only thing we changed was that we traded 2 cups of the flour for whole wheat flour, because adding wheat to them makes them healthy, right? ;)  They turned out pretty good considering that yeast and I are not friends.  Or maybe it's kneading and I that don't get along.  I haven't decided.  It could, quite possibly, be that that yeast and kneading have formed an alliance against me and they both hate me. 

Anyway, after giving each girl a piece of dough to work with, K and I have decided that yeast and kneading definitely love A.  And they even get along pretty well with H but they've got issues with K and I.  But we won't give up!  Despite our differences, once all the dough was united again, they turned out pretty well. 

I would love to show you the pictures we took except that we didn't take any.  Remember?  My camera is out of commission at the moment.  It's so sad! 

Once Anthony got home from work, it was time to start the party...

You see, I found this idea on a blog that I follow.  Actually, it's the blog of one of my very best friends little sister who was one of my sister's best friends... did that make sense?  Let's try that again.... The younger sister of one of my best friends has a blog...

You get the picture...

Well, she had this idea on her blog that I will link you to very shortly.  I remember making one of these when I was a kid.  I also remember using the string she suggests using.  But I thought, what the heck... I have yarn and we'll just use that!  Ok, either my lack of domestic diva-ness got in the way or yarn just isn't the way to go. 

Here is what it's supposed to look like...

Sooooo cute, right!  Yeah, ours didn't quite turn out like that.  Not even close.  Yarn is definitely too heavy for this project.  About half hour in, the kids weren't excited anymore.  There were tears, sadness, frustration, balloons popping, yarn falling off of the balloons, and much more going on.  And everything and everyone was sticky and gooey.  It was a fiasco!  At that point we decided to call it a day.  We definitely will try making our own baskets again.... NEXT year.  But we'll use the right stuff this time. 

Thanks for the idea, Laura!  I hope ours turn out this great next year when we try again. 

Then, to top it all off, after Anthony and I had just finished our workout (around 12:30 a.m.) little A came out of her room, whining, to let us know that she had just thrown up in her bed.  Let's just say, she was on the top of the bunk bed and she had yacked all. down. the. wall!  Oh man, it was disgusting.  

Sorry, TMI, I know.  

Anthony and I were up until 3:00 cleaning that up and running the washer... twice.  Can't just start it and forget it, remember?  And she's still sick so I'm sure we're only on round one of seven.  Seven people means seven rounds... usually.  Sometimes we get lucky and only the kids get it.  We'll see.

Needless to say, I'd like a redo of that FHE.  Hopefully next week goes better for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about when things don't quite go as planned! We also tried the string baskets tonight and it was a sticky event. My youngest is 9 and even my 19 year old only made it halfway through before giving up. Things ended up okay. The kitchen is now clean and there are some eggs/baskets drying, but mom was the only one working at it the entire time. Some FHE's are like that - you want to give up during but the end memory is pretty good!