Friday, September 30, 2011

Canvases and Walls

So, if you don’t see any updates for a day or so, consider me  dead! 

You see, I plan on blogging tomorrow (after General Conference, of course) but if I don’t, you know to worry. 

I bought something for the kids to ‘do’ during conference.  I usually just print out the conference packets and hope that will suffice for the duration of all four sessions.

It doesn’t. 

I mean, they’re great and I’m printing them off right now but they just don’t hold the attention of my girls, especially the two younger ones, like I always wish they would.  For once, I would like to enjoy Conference myself without too much interruption and ‘I’m bored’ comments. 

Yes, I make my kids watch all four sessions.  Mean?  Nah, it’s good for them.  K really enjoys it.  A and H are getting there. 

Oh, but anyway, let me show you what I bought…

canvas1

Do you see that?  A 5-pack of canvases!!  Anthony doesn’t know about them yet.  This is why I fear…

Once I pull them out, along with the paints and brushes, Anthony may not be so happy with me. 

But you have to understand.  We’ve been in our home for 6 years now and there has NEVER been anything on this wall…

canvas2

Yes, it’s sad but very true.  However, there is constantly laundry to put away on the couch.  Great decorating technique, right?  But I’ve always had this vision of our kids’ paintings hanging on our wall.  I’m no good when it comes to interior design.  In fact, I pretty much stink.  I just know that it would fit.  Can you picture it?  (Minus the laundry, of course.)  I’m pretty much squealing with delight right now.  It will be a happy wall!! 

However, I may be kicking myself for letting the kids do this once the mad chaos starts.  But once the wall is happy, I’ll be happy too!  And then I’ll remember to never bring such crazy shenanigans into our home EVER again! ;)

Oh, and speaking of walls…

Do you ever get the feeling that you’re talking to one?  Like no one is listening?  You’re just talking to a brick wall? 

Yeah, me too. 

I mean, I love blogging and I’ll do it no matter what but it’s so much more fun when people comment.  I would love to make new friends, so please, if you’re reading this, say hi!  If you have a blog, I’d love to visit. 

Am I scary?  Maybe so.

I’ll let you know how our canvas adventures go… Wish me luck!

 

14 comments:

Cari said...

That is a great (and brave!) idea ;) Hope it goes well!

Tristan said...

You're not mean - we make all six kids watch all four sessions. The only way to get out of it is to sleep (which the baby will do, and the toddler probably will for part of it). My kids are 10, 6, 5, 3, 2, and 10 mos. It's never dull, and rarely completely quiet, but we're working on it.

We do a mix of things to keep them interested or at least quiet. Conference packets, playdoh, paints, just about anything. Last night I grabbed some of the face paint crayons that are out for Halloween - the kids get to do face painting today at some point as a surprise.

We're also working on making a snack mix. Basically, for each talk they listen to they earn an ingredient for their personal snack mix. We start with easy things (pretzels) and up the stakes as it gets toward the middle of the session (M&Ms). At the congregational hymn everyone gets to eat the mix they've earned. :)

LeShel said...

i LOVE this idea. I may steal it from you. I have some naked walls that I'd love to hang my kiddo's work on.

Briana said...

I'm still here, too! :)

Dana said...

I am here. I read all your posts. Love them, of course! Your brave to them paint but they will do a great job.

Lisa Garner said...

I read all the time!!! Sorry I am very bad at commenting - I will try and be better! We have the same problem in our house - nothing over the couch - in an ideal world I would have a big framed mirror, but we all know that is not going to happen for YEARS - poor law students = not nice things HAHA. Maybe I should let Jaxon paint something - who knows - he could be amazing! Can't wait to see how it turns out! Please post pictures! :)

Montie W said...

Careful - your kids might want to do this all the time!

Brooke said...

Oooh! I love the snack mix idea. I might have to try that! Glad I'm not the only one that makes their kids watch every session. Although the boys take naps during the second one.

Brooke said...

Please do! Ours turned out AWESOME! Well, the boys haven't done theirs yet but the girls had so much fun... AND I'm not dead! BONUS!! I will 'reveal' them tomorrow...

Brooke said...

Pics are coming for sure! Don't you worry. I think they turned out to be amazing!!

Brooke said...

I know, right? They had a blast doing it and I think it has become our new fall conference tradition!

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

You're very scary! I try to comment a lot, but also don't comment on everything I read. Our conference experience yesterday was a little crazy. My boys were in endless wrestle mode during the first session. Hopefully, today will be smoother.

We've also been in our home for 6 years and our walls are still very empty. I think the canvases will be cute. :)

Ruth Hansen said...

Hello Brooke...my name is Ruth. I have 7 fabulous kiddos which I homeschool. Oldest is a quite handsome 16-year-old red head and the youngest is a climb-onto-everything-and-jump-off blonde 18 month old. Thank heavens he is old enough for nursery now. :) I love em all.

I recently discovered your blog and have enjoyed your sense of humor and perspective on life. Thank you for blogging...keep it up! :) I am looking forward to seeing your completed masterpieces over the couch. Love the idea of using the kid's artwork to decorate. My favorite family portrait is one my 12 year-old drew of us.

Happy conference weekend! And yes, we make all the kids sit and watch every session too...I agree, it's good for them. :)

Brooke said...

Hello Ruth! Thanks for reading and commenting. It's great to get to know so many fun people. And homeschoolers too! Good to know that I'm not the only crazy one.