Sunday, October 16, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

And now you can sing my praises because I am finally following through! 

Thank you, thank you… you’re too kind.

But seriously, you’ve got to try this cake. 

cake5

It’s soooo good, for real!  It’s a recipe that I got from my Grandma Johnson… except that she’s not really my grandma.  She is the grandma of some of my cousins.  Ok, that kind of makes it sound like she should be my grandma, too but it’s their dad’s mom and he’s my uncle by marriage.  He married my aunt, by blood.  Make sense?

{I don’t know how appetizing it really is to have the word blood in a post about cake but it is October.  Think about it…}

Oh, and I didn’t really get it from Grandma Johnson herself.  I got it from a website her family set up after her passing.  They posted all her wonderful recipes.

Grandma Johnson passed away several years ago but growing up, I was practically part of her family.  I went with my cousins to her home on many occasions.  She preferred me to call her ‘Grandma’ and since I liked her, I was happy to do so.  And eventually I grew to LOVE her.

Plus, I really liked her food.  Oh man, that woman could cook! 

Actually, I don’t really remember much of her cooking, more so her baking. 

That woman could BAKE! 

I’m sure her cooking abilities were equally grand but at the time, I didn’t care about much if it didn’t have lots of sugar.  Come to think of it, I still prefer sugary goods to savory ones. 

I’m working on it, ok? 

What you’re about to bake (you are planning to bake this, no?) is a divine way to use up all that zucchini you’ve got stored in your freezer.  Or maybe you still have some from your harvest.  I sure hope so because if not, you’re missing out! 

----------------------------------------

Make the cake batter and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. 

cake1

Mix the topping and sprinkle on batter.

cake2

cake3

BAKE!  VOILA!!

cake5

 

 

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1/2 c. butter or margarine

1/2 c. oil

2 c. sugar

3 eggs

2 c. grated zucchini

2 1/2 c. flour

1/2 tsp. vinegar or lemon juice

1/2 c. buttermilk

4 T. cocoa

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder

 

Combine wet ingredients in large bowl.  Combine dry ingredients in med. bowl.  Mix until well incorporated.

For topping, mix 3/4 c. brown sugar, 3/4 c. chocolate chips (I used a bit more) and 3/4 c. chopped nuts (optional… I sprinkled some on half).  Sprinkle topping over cake batter.  Bake at 350* for 40-45 minutes. 

 

 

No comments: